Hudson Valley Parent

HVP January 2019

Issue link:

Contents of this Issue


Page 19 of 35

20 Hudson Valley Parent n January 2019 register with your local school district to start the process. If your child (age three to five) has not been in early intervention but you believe he may have physical or cognitive delays, he may be eligible for services in preschool. Contact your local school district to request an evaluation for special education services. Most school districts will have a website tab for "special education" that provides a contact person to get in touch with. Once that initial call is made, you'll work closely with a team called the Committee on Preschool Special Education (CPSE). This team consists of a chairperson, school psychologist, general education teacher, special education teacher and you. They will help you understand state laws and regulations, discuss evaluations and work with you to develop the IEP. or special equipment. Evaluate your child to determine needs Evaluations are an important step By RIELLY GREY Y our very first IEP can be nerve racking - all those meetings, evaluations and paperwork. I know, I've been there. Whether you're transitioning from early intervention or starting your little one with services for the very first time, I'm here to help you through it all. Understand the acronyms An individualized education program (IEP) is a written plan that outlines what your child needs in order to be successful in school. This plan includes services such as occupational therapy, speech-language pathology, audiology services, physical therapy and other services that will assist your child in a learning environment. If your child receives services through early intervention, they have an individualized family service plan (IFSP). The difference: before age three, an IFSP outlines goals to help your child navigate their world at home, with family and in the community. After age three, your child will receive services to assist them in school, navigating peers and academics. In addition, a 504 plan might be discussed. This plan covers accommodations your child might need, such as classroom modifications or special equipment. First things first If your child has been receiving early intervention, they may be eligible to continue services in preschool. A service coordinator will help you to determine how your child might fair in school. Will they be able to hear the teacher? How will they react to other children and instruction? Will they be able to focus, play, walk, etc.? Prior to your first IEP meeting, your child is evaluated to determine what services are beneficial and necessary. Even if your child has already been evaluated during the early intervention program and/or has a diagnosis, New York state still requires these evaluations. Evaluators have a checklist of specific tests to determine your child's abilities. They will watch your child play and complete quizzes. This is a good time to share prior evaluation results, goals and special notes about your child. You know your child best. Relay your understandings about capabilities and challenges. After the evaluation, the evaluation agency sends their official report to your CPSE team. You also receive a copy to review. Set goals, decide on services, make a plan Your CPSE team schedules a date to meet with you to review the evaluations, determine eligibility for services and develop a plan to help your child succeed in school. The IEP will outline which services your child will receive as well as the frequency. Make sure to bring your notebook with questions. It's important that you understand the plan. It's also important to remember the IEP will only include services to Everything you need to know before your first IEP Local mom takes you through each step Rielly (right) and her son Simon (left) are experts at meetings, paperwork and getting Simon what he needs to succeed.

Articles in this issue

Links on this page

Archives of this issue

view archives of Hudson Valley Parent - HVP January 2019