Hudson Valley Parent

HVP November 2019

Issue link:

Contents of this Issue


Page 23 of 35

24 Hudson Valley Parent n November 2019 W hen it comes to flea and tick control, a preventative approach is best. "It's not only taking a preventa- tive approach but choosing your approach wisely," said veterinarian, Alex Barrientos of Earth Angels Vet- erinary Hospital in Wappinger Falls. "When you are choosing what to do, be careful -the strongest and tough- est are not necessarily the safest." Pay attention to both a treat- ment's efficacy and potential harmful side-effects for your pet and family members. While only 2 percent of the flea population is on pets, one tick can bite and infect your pet more than once. And, with the remaining 98 percent of fleas lurking in your pet's environment, ridding your house of the pests is important, especially since flea eggs can survive for up to two years in home. Plus, ticks are hardy-they can withstand winter months under snow cover. Full Circle Veterinary Hospital in Wappingers Falls recommends a combination of traditional and holistic flea and tick prevention for pets, including topicals, collars and chewable tablets. Often external products consist of essential oils that deter biting bugs but don't kill them, leaving pets vulnerable to getting bitten from the insects. Because tick-borne diseases can cause joint, organ and other poten- tially permanent problems that may or may not be evident, Full Circle does semi-annual blood tests for pets. As well, flea infestations can cause itching, severe skin irritations, loss of fur and mange. If a pet be- comes ill from a bite, medication or hospitalization may be needed. "Just because it gets cold, doesn't mean that ticks have gone away," said Christine Pupek, Full Circle's practice manager. Go with whichev- er treatment suits your lifestyle, she SPECIAL PRINT SECTION IN HUDSON VALLEY PARENT Our expert tells us what to do about flea and tick prevention We Love Our Pets: Pet Tips & Advice HVP STAFF PICK: Luna

Articles in this issue

Links on this page

Archives of this issue

view archives of Hudson Valley Parent - HVP November 2019